Friday, December 30, 2016

Pic 619

Distance: 14.4 km.  Elevation low/high/total: 183/524/528 m.
Difficulty:5.7/10  Scenic: 5.0/10
A relatively easy 14.5 km hike that departs from the GR1 Stage 1.  Pics linked above and gpx here.
Time to make that final hike of the year.  Hiking partners are away and busy and I've had a badly sprained ankle the past two months so I wanted something relatively safe for this solo outing.  The hike starts out near the end of the GR1 ,Stage 1.  After a few kilometers, the hike continues west when the GR1 turns north.  For the most part the hike follows a well developed path and there's little concern of making a wrong turn.  Typical scenery for this region; the weather was overcast and sometimes misty so it didn't make for the most beautiful hike but I also didn't overheat on this early summer hike.  The actual peak - Pic 619 and I've no idea why it's called that - is most notable for the view point it gives to the west and north toward Dumbea.  I'd love to return on a nice day.  No twisted ankle and no drama, I was out and back in something like 4.5 hours with a longish lunch break.

No comments:

Post a Comment